Monday 2 June 2014

Interview with Jeremy Saffer


For the last while I haven't been able to post anything much, base it down to personal stuff, Uni work and some other things. I always tried to fit some things in, tried to get interviews with bands but due to uptight Record Labels it was impossible to get anything with the bands I wanted (Every Time I Die and Killer Be Killed namely). But once I got some time (Uni's finished till September) I decided to be persistent and go for different bands and stuff - the first is this with Jeremy Saffer, a man that has most probably photographed every important band in the world of rock. His work is unique and IMO so crisp and clean, he always seems to make the bands/subject that much more cooler, guys like Eighteen Visions, Mitch Lurker, Chris Motionless, The Misfits, Alice Cooper, Danny Trejo and Bring Me The Horizon, to mention only a few.

-----------------------------------------------

To start off, what do you feel was it that led you to pursue a career in photography? Had it always been a passion of sorts for you?

I was in bands growing up, so I was always taking pictures of bands, usually with a disposable camera… eventually a local promoter (Scott Lee) saw I was at almost every show, and asked me to start taking photos at them. I got a better camera, and started shooting for the local shows here, which were, Hatebreed, Lamb Of God, Chimaira, All That Remains, Shadows Fall, Killswitch Engage, etc. Then I started shooting for a bigger company he is a part of, which included The Worcester Palladium and eventually The Webster Theater in Hartford. 

I went to Berklee School of music for music production and engineering but ended up hating it. So I would skip homework and shoot shows instead. Eventually after 3 semesters, I wanted to quit Berklee, so I talked to Scott who is a mentor and hero to me. He basically said “well, you don’t like Berklee, what do you like to do?” – I answered “take pictures”. So he gave me this look like I was the last one to understand that I should actually go down that path. So I essentially put down my guitar for a camera. 

I toured a bit, then went to Hallmark, and within 10 months I graduated and was out shooting. 


Do you have any set equipment that you MUST use when working, or are you pretty flexible in that respect? 

I have to have a camera! haha - the 1dx is the camera i use for everything - if im doing portraits i need to have the 24-70. if im shooting live i need the 16-35 - i rarely do photos with only natural light so id say the dynalites i use are fairly vital to the image. but ive learned how to make anything work - one light - no lights - etc. 


Having worked with a large number of bands and people, what do you feel are your best shoots? Which bands/people do you enjoy working with most and are there any locations you particularly like shooting in? 

i always say my next shoot will be my best one - which is why i treat each shoot as if it is.

- i enjoy working with the bands i work with the most - which is why i work with them so often :) 

- for locations i like shooting in areas i haven't shot in before - always cool to get something different than the same few spots over and over. 


If you could work with any, alive or dead, who would it be – kinda like your ideal shoot? 

michael, sabbath, dio, vincent price, bela, etc- in terms of alive - sabbath would be the one shoot id always want to get but never will get 


Related to this, and also because this is a music-based site, what sort of bands are you rocking out to lately? Do you find music itself helps you when shooting or inspires you? 

i listen to everything - lately ive been rotating between the new bring me the horizon (incredible) - old alice in chains - portishead - diabolical masquerade - and babymetal 


Along with being a photographer, late last year you started a new clothing brand, TenThirtyoneinc, what was the reasoning behind this, and again where do your inspirations for the designs come from (apart from the obvious Halloween)? 

well the way tenthirtyoneinc came about - I always had saffer shirts - and had my friends do designs - usually horror based (as thats essentially a big big part of my life aside from photos) - so i had a bit of extra money and a perfect person to do the designs, who was able to put my words into art - so i felt the time was right to finally do it. essentially its all for selfish reasons. its thinking - okay - i really want this shirt to exist so i can wear it. ill have it designed, print it, and then ill have a bunch of them! and maybe i can recoup the cost of having these shirts essentially custom made for me to wear by selling them as a clothing line. if that makes any sense? haha. so think of all those grammy suits and dresses. - like that - but t-shirts. its not a money thing. its a love for horror and love for art thing. ive essentially only been wearing 10x31 since the first run printed. 


To finish up, what do you have planned for the future? 

i have a few projects in the works - i am going to start a crowd funding campaign for my next book - more print series coming out - and summer tour seasons about to kick off so mayhem and warped are around the corner.

-----------------------------------------------

Check out Jeremy's shoots on his site, with a link to his store too;

Check out TenThirty1neInc on their site;

Check out our Facebook site;
https://www.facebook.com/theghostchant

No comments:

Post a Comment